How we got the idea ?
Sharmistha and I had a ladies day out as she was travelling and the probability to meet in future are less.
We cooked a lot that day, more then what two people can eat. Now usually dal is excessive after dinner. Now she was travelling and d only option we had was to throw it away. We both dont believe in throwing or wasting food. So i suggested her lets make dal paratha out of it. She said i dont like dal paratha – will you make puranpuri. So then came the idea to make puran puri out of cooked dal.
1. take the excessive cook dal and heat it in a pan to dry out the water.
2) keep on heating it and stirring it so that it doesn’t get stuck with the pan. It will take 10 to 15 mins depending upon the quantity of water in the dal.
3) As the water dries up – add gur / jagerry to the dal – i have put one block of jagerry ( one of the ones of the below pic) , it will melt in the dal and will give the sweet taste. Plus jagerry makes the dal stick to each other like a dough. Plus jagerry is good for health.
4) after drying up it will look like this. Let the mixture cool down in normal room temperature for 30 mins.
Imp. – we cant cook a stuffed bread with hot mixture as it wont spread uniformly inside the bread so the mixture needs to be completely cold.
5) make a dough .. stuff the dough… roll it in a paratha (bread) .
6) the ideal well cooked paratha (bread) will be like this.
And we enjoyed the puranpuri. It tastes just yummy.
How this is a healthy breakfast/ lunch/ travel food?
1. it is freshly cooked.
2. it has no preservatives. Preservatives and plastics are the two components which we intake in every day like. they are the basic reason for which we put on weight. Because preservatives are solid fats and plastics are indigestible.
So food like chips, canned food, dry food , pickles , etc whatever has preservative is direct fat consumption to the body.
3. cooked with no oil.
4. i brush the bread with less ghee after making it so that i intake ghee… ghee raw when consumed is good for health. the moment ghee is cooked it looses its properties and becomes fat. Ghee is good for health. will write about how ghee is good in next blog.
5. its a filling diet and since digestion process is high in the morning and afternoons its an ideal time to eat parathas or puranpuri. After eating this the stomach wont be empty and the craving for chips, chocolates or any fast food will be very less. At least it works for me. I eat paratha breakfast everyday.
6. plus they stay for a long time so easy to carry during travelling.