I love samosas..who doesn’t? But I hate the idea of heating up a ton of oil and standing there deep frying them.
- For the filling
- For the pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
for the filling, boil the sweet potatoes, beet, carrots, beans, bottle gourd etc in a pan of boiling, salt/ hing ( asafoetida)water for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain the water, take a pain – pour 1 spoon oil and add cumin, ajwain seeds and chillis to it. roughly mash the vegetables and set aside.
- Add the coriander leaves, and stir well until all the ingredients are blended together.
- For the pastry, place the multi grain whole wheat , salt and 1 tea cup of water into a bowl.
- Using your hands, knead into a dough for 5-8 minutes.
- Divide the dough into golf-ball sized pieces and, on a floured surface, roll them out into thin circles about 7.5cm/5in diameter and 3mm thick, then cut each circle in half.
- Apply the water by finger tip to the straight edge of one semi-circle. Fold it to make a cone shape, sealing the pasted straight edge, then lift the cone with the tapered end at the bottom, and fill it with about one tablespoon of the vegetable mixture. Seal the samosa with a little more glue, pressing the edges firmly together. Repeat the process until all of the pastry has been used up.
- Place the samosas on a baking tray and put in the centre of the oven/ gas. Bake for 2-3 minutes, turning them once halfway through cooking until lightly browned.