While winter is typically a season of colds and coughs, it sure is the time of the year when allergies are given a ruffle. Recently I was diagnosed with Pollen allergy,just when the air turns crisp cold, I have to pack my pockets with tissues and throat pills. The cause: allergies. Allergies can be triggered by almost any tiny particle in air, food or water.
7 Pollen Allergy Symptoms
For a start, they can lead the negative basic emotions such as anger. They can also lead to depression, mood swings, irritability, lack of motivation, frustration, and a general deterioration of emotional health and well-being.
In my own experience, anger, frustration, mood swings, impatience are allergy symptoms, which in itself can can lead to many other problems with mood, family and friends .
Ways to Prevent & Treat
- The best way to avoid allergic reactions this season is to cover up. “Don’t step out without an extra layer of clothing on you. Everyone should be eating well, a lot of vegetables, milk and protein rich food will keep your immune system healthy. Also make sure, you clean your beds and carpets to avoid dust mites,”
- Don’t stress out, sleep well and eat well. If you are sleeping less than 7 hours – you are inviting allergies and other diseases to your body.
- Use of air filters to minimize concentrations of air borne pollen is also recommended.
- Steam inhalation and avoidance of exposure to cold environments or fumes go a long way in improving symptoms.
- Simple measures like deep breathing exercises, pranayama and sudarshankriyatechniques are helpful..
- An ENT evaluation is recommended in view of possible presence of correctable obstructions like nasal polyps
- Build your immunity: There is nothing like a strong immune system to fight even the deadliest of viruses or bacteria.
- Go herbal: Just a few weeks before winter, avoid artificially-flavoured products and incorporate more healthy ingredients into your diet. Eg: Mint, tulsi, carrots, milk with turmeric, pepper, ginger, and cumin seeds help to cleanse and strengthen the body.
- If you you suffer from asthma, medicines like talisathi, sithopalath, adathodavasika help to stabilise breathing and enhance lung capacity. “Dosage of medicine will depend on the severity of his/her condition. One must consult a qualified ayurveda doctor,”
Ayurveda prescribes a number of medications for allergies and nasal infections. Some of the general medicines that can be consumed to prepare the body for an attack include lehya and rasayana preparations. Such products, made from plant extracts, are known to purify blood and strengthen the immune system.