Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Tomatoes- 10 (chunks)
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp, Cumin seeds -½ tsp, sauf -½ tsp
- Chilli – ½ inch (minced) or 2 red chillis
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Haldi (tumeric- pinch
- Tamarind – 4 to 5 small pieces or 7 table spoons
- Jaggery- 5tbsp
- Mustard oil- 1tsp
- Peanuts – 10-15
- Dates – 5 to 6
1) Heat the pan – slightly roast mustard seeds- ½ tsp, cumin seeds -½ tsp, sauf -½ tsp and red chillis for 3 seconds before adding oil.
Its always good to roast spices before adding oil as it enhances the favor of the spices.
3) After adding oil to the roasted spice mix. When the seeds splutter add chopped tomatoes to the pan. Cook on a low flame for 2 minutes. Sprinkle salt, turmeric and chilli from the top. Mix it up uniformly and cook it for 1 minute.
3) Add tamarind, jaggery and dates. Stir it well for 1 min.
4) Add water to the mix – 3 tea cups. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame. If the chutney is drying up, add ½ a cup of water to the pan. Cook till you get a thick consistency.
Taste to see if the chutney is sweet enough. Some tomatoes are excessively sour so you might need to adjust the Jaggery.