Instead of eating Maggie (An Indian brand for instant noodles – comes with a packet of spice for instant cooking) or other instant noodles, my choice for noodles craving is Rice Vermicelli. I have earlier cooked rice noodles with Maggie masala and it’s totally yummy. Rice Vermicelli is a kind of thin Noodles made from Rice. This particular dish is fat free and healthy. This is a specialty of Karnataka, a southern state in India. Spicy Vermicelli is mostly eaten as a breakfast item but can be a full meal for any time of the day!
For 2 people
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Rice Vermicelli
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp, Jeera Seeds ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- Green Chilies finely chopped – 1
- Onions chopped – ½ cup
- Carrot shredded – ½ cup
- Kadhi Patta – 4 to 5 leaves
- Capsicum chopped- half
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice – ½ of a Lemon
- Baby corn – 3 pieces
- Polliogare Paste – Homemade ½ tsp.
- Tomato chopped – 1 piece
- Peanuts – 8 to 10 pieces
- • Boil Water in a large pan, switch off the gas and add Vermicelli to the hot water. Soak it for 3 to 4 minutes. (Water quantity should be such that the Vermicelli is completely immersed in Water). Drain and run under tap Water or soak it in cold water till you prepare the masala – This is to avoid it from becoming sticky. Keep this aside.
2. Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds, chillis, asafetida, Kadhi patta, jeera seeds and peanuts, allow to it to splutter. Then add onion, tomato, capsicum, baby corn and fry for few 1 minute on low flame. Sauté till transparent. Next add Carrot and continue stir frying for 2 minutes.
3. Add turmeric, salt, polliogare paste and mix well on low flame.
4. Add cooked Vermicelli, Mix it well, Finish it with a dash of Lemon Juice and chopped Coriander if you want.
My friend Jaya & I enjoyed our Sunday breakfast.