Cuisine – North Indian
Recipe category – Dry Vegetable (Subzi)
Skill level – Easy/Beginner
- • Bhindi (Okra)- 3 cups, cut into ½ inch pieces
- • Potato – 1 medium (2 cups), cut long or 2 potatoes
- • Oil – 3 teaspoons mustard oil
- • Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- • Red Chilli – 1 crushed
- • Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- • Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- • Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
- • Garam masala – ½ teaspoon
- • Salt – to taste
Wash the okra well. Dry them well using kitchen towel or paper towel or just keep them for a while – let the water dry up. This step is very important step as it avoids stickiness after it cooks.Cut in 4 the okra first and chop them into ½ inch pieces. The cut is important as it saves cooking time. Same way chop the potatoes thin ( similar to french fries).
Now heat 1 teaspoon of mustard oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add dd cumin seeds, when it sizzles, add crushed red chilli.
Add sliced potatoes first and saute until onions turn golden brown, then add ladies fingers and saute for 5 more minutes on a low flame.
Keep steering it once a while
Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt needed and cook covered until potatoes are done. Stir in between to prevent it from getting burnt.
Serve it hot.Eat it with rice or roti. Both ways it tastes yummy and is definitely health.
Taste – mild spicy
Cooking Tips –
– When you buy okra keep in mind that they should be long, fresh looking and dark green in color. Don’t buy those who have blemishes, cut or leaked internal juice. Try to buy those who have less seeds in it.
– Don’t forget to add salt while cooking okra and potatoes. It enhances the flavor.