Cuisine – North Indian
Recipe category – Gravy Vegetable (Subzi)
Skill level – Easy/Beginner
- 10 medium sized Taro roots
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds (zeera)
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 green chilies finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- Red/ green/ yellow capsicum -1 which ever you like or have.
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp of coriander powder
- 2-3 tbsp fo finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 tea spoon of oil for cooking
- salt to taste
1. Wash and boil the arbies in the pressure cooker for 10 to 12 minutes. Make sure you add 5 to 6 cups of water just enough to cover the arbies. Then turn the heat off and keep them to steam for next 10 minutes.
2. Let the boiled arbies to cool down. Once the arbies cool down peel the skin out and place them in a plate.
3. Now take a pressure cooker again. Add 2 tea spoon oil. Once the oil heat up – add asafetida,jeera and chillis. Fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the peeled arbis and red capsicum in to the pressure cooker.
5. Meanwhile blend tomatoes and onions. Add the paste to the pressure cooker.
6. Mix it well with the spatula gently then sprinkle salt, turmeric & coriander powder. Add one tea mug water to it. Close the pressure cooker and let it cook on low flame for 5 to 6 minutes. . Turn the stove off.
Once cooked add coriander leaves for taste enhancement.
Arbi promotes healthy digestion, regulates hypertension, lowers blood pressure, improves heart health, and prevents cardiovascular disorders.
1. When selecting the arbies (taro), choose those that are firm and do not have shriveled
skins or show signs of mold.
- Buy similar size of arbies because when boiling
them they will boil evenly in same time.
3. We don’t fry the Arbies and it takes equally good. Can’t make out the difference whether it’s fried or not fried.
4. Instead of using the microwave method, I cook the arbies in pressure cooker giving just one or two whistle & then taking it off the gas.
5. I have used just onion and dint use the combination of onion- garlic- ginger. This makes it even more healthier. Plus there is not much spices involved.