Article written for OO Womaniya.com. Link:http://oowomaniya.com/voices/excreting-for-good-health-vaman-therapy-ayurveda/
(Image from Naturopathy Book)
Pee, Potty and Vomit are 3 first basic steps towards good health. Sounds gross? But here’s why……
Toxins that are accumulated in the body and the respiratory tract system are effectively removed by Vaman, one of the five therapies of Panchakarma in Ayurveda.
Anyone looking to become healthy should first regulate pee, potty and practice conscious Vomiting. Each one of us should never suppress the natural urge to urinate, defecate, sneeze and cough.
People who are desperate to lose weight, suffering from PCOD, thyroid, etc. with high imbalance of kapha are given this type of treatment, which loosens and mobilizes the toxins, in an effort to eliminate them from the body.
Why we do it?
1) Congestion in the lungs causing repeated attacks of bronchitis, colds, cough or asthma, etc. is caused by excessive mucus. This excessive mucus can be removed with vaman.
2) Certain chronic diseases like diabetes can be treated by this therapy. People suffering from edema, epilepsy, skin diseases, fever, loss of appetite, etc can find this therapy beneficial.
How to do Vaman?
1) This process should be learnt under the guidance of the expert (Ayurvedic or Naturopathy doctors or practitioners) and then may be performed independently when learnt properly.
2) Also this process should not be performed daily. It should be performed according to the need under the expert guidance.
People suffering from heart trouble, blood pressure (high or low), diseases of the nervous system, or trouble from ulcers, should not perform the process. It should be done under expert advice and to the extent prescribed by them.
1) After performing Vaman therapy, the patient should take rest and not consume heavy food.
2) Fasting is highly recommended immediately after Vaman therapy that’s why we say the day you fast start it with Vaman therapy.